The Waveform Suite is a component of the GISMO Project.A MATLAB toolbox that simplifies the importing, processing, and displaying seismic data.
The Waveform Suite allows easy data retrieval from a variety of sources and to make basic waveform research quick and easy. It is a toolset that allows the creation of more sophisticated programs without having to be concerned with all details. Features include:
- History feature tracks changes to your waveforms
- Plotting tools for waveforms
- Waveforms work for any regularly sampled data stream
- Mathematical functions make manipulating easier: +, -, /, .*, .^
- Standard manipulations: filter, crop, subset, subset, stack, normalize, automatic gain control, demean, detrend, taper, etc.
- Statistics: max, min, mean, median, etc.
- Waveform operations: hilbert transform, integration and differentiation
- Operates N-dimensional waveforms (in most cases without requiring loops)
- Object architecture provides a stable base for writing more complex programs
Data can be imported from Antelope databases (via the BRTT Antelope toolbox), Winston databases, the IRIS-DMC, SAC files, SEISAN, .mat files, or your own homegrown file format. With minimal coding, most any homegrown MATLAB format can take advantage of waveform architecture. The core suite consists of a scnlobject class, a datasource class, and the waveform class.
Two basic additional utility classes come with the waveform toolbox: filterobject and spectralobject. Filterobject allows easy filtering. Spectralobject allows easy manipulation of parameters used to create spectrograms.
The waveform suite:
- makes playing with data easier by automating the tedious aspects of data manipulation
- makes programs more stable by ensuring proper data typing
- makes code more portable by reading multiple formats and functioning on multiple systems
- makes troubleshooting faster by providing more detailed messages and warnings
Additional information can be found from the online examples and help files at:
The Waveform Suite and related codes can also be discussed at:
As always, Comments are welcome, as are reviews and bug reports. Thanks!
- Homepage: http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/23809-the-waveform-suite-for-matlab
- Category: Library
- Language: MATLAB
Antelope, Plotting, MATLAB, Calculation, SEISAN, SAC, Web Services, Antelope, Winston
Reyes, C. G. and West, M. E., 2011. "The Waveform Suite: A Robust Platform for Manipulating Waveforms in MATLAB", SRL 82 (1) 104-110.